ArcheAge has a complex housing system, where you are placing houses on "Housing Zone" (on the open world) accessible to everyone who isn't on a free account, unlike in other MMOs where they are being instanced.
In ArcheAge players can build their own houses, with different types and sizes. They can be used as decoration, storage place, relaxing, crafting, safe spot from PK'ers...
It is possible to set permissions to the houses, like who you want to be able to enter, to use the storage chests, etc. There is a family system in the game too, so not everyone needs to have their own house, they can share the same one.
Non-patron players can't build any type or house, but they are still able to buy a blueprint from Mirage Isles. Although they won't be able to build a house anywhere. They still, however can use a person's house if the house permissions allow them to.
Build A House
Building a house step by step:
1. Acquire a blueprint (buy from NPC) on Mirage Island (See below for list of houses and prices).
- To get to Mirage Island, you'll need to find a portal.
- You can find these portals on your map, as the blue swirl.
2. Place down the foundation
3. Right-click blueprint
4. Rotate as you like to the desired direction you want the house to look.
- Each house has a circle of influence around it, where you can place things and have them be protected from theft.
- The circles must not overlap with other housing circles.
5. Make bundles of 100 wood, stone or iron
6. Carry bundles to the house
7. Use bundles to build the house
- Keep in mind that more expensive houses need more wood/stone.
- So get ready to walk a few times from the crafting station to your house
- If the house is a bigger one, its advised to ask friends to help you out, since it takes too much time to build it alone.
- The simplest houses need 200 wood and 200 ore (4 times the walking)
- The bigger ones require several thousand mats
8. Now when the house is constructed, it's time to decorate it.
- Buy recipes from NPC and craft the objects.
- The housing blueprints or "deeds" are only purchasable using a new currency implemented as part of the new trade system, and NOT the standard gold earned normally.
- There are silver coins (tear drop coins) and gold coins (Gilda Star Coins).
Destroying, Losing and Taxing Houses
Destroying the houses:
-Southern Continent: Houses built here can't be destroyed, only way to lose them is by not paying the taxes.
-Northern Continent: When the enemy takes over a territory, they can demolish all houses built within a 100m radius from the center of the territory.
When a player loses their house, it will be sent to them via mail, so its possible to rebuild it again as it was before, so technically they just lost the housing spot earlier and have to look for a new one.
Tax rates, depends where is your house located:
-Southern Continent: There is a standard tax rate on the main continents set by the developers. The bigger the house, the higher the taxes. It didn't work out a percentage, but it seemed reasonable...ish. For lower level players the amount seems like a lot because the quests don't pay out that much. For higher level players the amount is chump change. Keep in mind that this is for the smallest house, so if you really want a big house expect it to cost you.
-Northern Continent: On the so called PvP Continent the taxes are determined by who owns the territory.
Taxes are paid through the mail system and you will be notified a week in advance of when they are due. Payment is either for 1 week or 2 weeks.